by Mike Howell for DieHardDevil.com
Coach Graham has won 3 of 4 Bowl Games in his career. The Devils will battle for Saturday’s trophy, and hopefully many more to come over the next several years. But for now, this team has one thing and one thing only on their mind.
So what should you know about Saturday’s Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl? Here’s the most important & entertaining info:
- Kick-off is Saturday, December 29 at 1:00pm PST. Game will be televised by ESPN2.
- The game is played in beautiful AT&T Park, home to the 2012 World Series Champion San Francisco Giants.
- Football seating capacity = 40, 184.
- The Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl’s executive director and game co-founder, Gary Cavalli, commented on the Saturday platform for the ARIZONA STATE and NAVY match-up, “This year’s game date, which marks our fifth straight weekend appearance, is ideal for the teams, the fans and the national TV audience. Saturday afternoon is synonymous with college football in America, and it gives us the best platform to showcase two fine teams, the city of San Francisco, and our title sponsor, Kraft Foods.”
- This year will be the franchise’s 10th Bowl Game.
- Former names: San Francisco Bowl (2002), Diamond Walnut San Francisco Bowl (2002–2003) and the Emerald Bowl (2004–2009).
- NAVY will earn $750,000 while ASU receives $950,000.
- In the two years since Kraft has been the naming-rights sponsor, game organizers have donated the financial equivalent of more than 200,000 meals to three different charitable organizations in the Bay area.
- Vegas is giving NAVY -14.5 points against favored Arizona State.
- The Bar is Open. Alcoholic beverage sales on the Promenade and View Levels and in the stands end at the conclusion of the third quarter. However, the bar stays open in the Field Club or in the Club lounges can in the fourth quarter.
- AT&T Park is within walking distance of downtown San Francisco and many city neighborhoods. Fans are able to take Muni Metro streetcars and trolley busses, BART (via an in-station link to Muni Metro), CalTrain, buses and ferries to the ballpark.
- This year makes 9 Bowl appearances in 10 seasons for NAVY.
- The Navy Midshipmen rush for 285.45 yards per game – 6th nationally. Although they scored 10 or fewer points in three of its first four games, NAVY has since averaged nearly 32 points over its past seven games.
- NAVY still have one more regular season game this Saturday, December 8 th against Army, at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia; however, the Middies have already locked up a postseason spot at 7-4.
Because AT&T Park is not normally used for football, the arrangement of the playing field requires both teams to be on the same sideline, separated by a barrier at the 50-yard line.
- The 2012 Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl Kickoff Luncheon is the day before the game on Friday, December 28 at 1:00pm at the historic Westin St. Francis Hotel. Come interact with both teams, game sponsors and local dignitaries.
- Arrive early to enjoy the bands and spirit squads from both teams. For questions about the event, contact Amy Gardner at 415.625.2882 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2006: The game between Florida State and UCLA was the first sell-out, which earned a 4.5 TV rating.
- 2007: When Oregon State was invited to the Bowl, officials concluded that the Pac-10 was a large draw for the area, and it signed a long-term contract with the conference.
- 2008: In the matchup between Cal & Miami, the Bowl had the highest attendance total yet, a standing-room-only 42,268. This was the second straight sellout and third in four years.
- 2009: The game became one of the most watched bowls yet on ESPN when USC defeated Boston College.
To discuss Saturday’s Bowl-Matchup, join fellow Sun Devils in DEVILINK
Comments are closed.